• Must be outside of Australia during the application time and when the visa is granted.
  • You must have a sponsor who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a qualifying New Zealand citizen.
  • You are in a spousal relationship with your sponsor,you can be De facto partners, however, usually your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for the visa. 
  • Usually, be 18 or older when you apply.
  • Meet the health and character requirement.

  • Not had a visa cancelled or an application refused.

  • Aged 18 years or above.
  • You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident who is ordinarily resident in Australia.
  • Have not sponsored more than 1 other person for a Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300).
  • Have not sponsored another person on a Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) in the last 5 years.

Visa 309 is a temporary spouse visa that can usually be converted to a permanent residence Visa 100 within 2 years of application, although the spousal relationship between the applicant and sponsor must be maintained and genuine throughout these 2 years. In some special cases, the applicant may be able to obtain a permanent residence class 100 visa directly.

Partner visa 309/100 Fee
Base application charge
Additional applicant charge 18 and over
Additional applicant charge under 18